Mika Kubokawa ーProfile

 

Mika Kubokawa | Profile

Founder and Director, LILY & GOLD LONDON LTD
Self Body Make (SBM) Instructor
Self-Care Champion, Self Care Forum, UK

My name is Mika Kubokawa, and I teach Self Body Make (SBM), a Japanese self-care method, in London.

In 2010, at the age of 42, I brought SBM from Japan to London and established the LILY & GOLD LONDON school from a room in my home. I began in a city where I knew no one, and for more than 16 years, I have continued to work closely with each individual client.

Today, as the Founder of LILY & GOLD LONDON LTD, I support people experiencing concerns about their lower back, neck or posture, helping them learn how to care for their bodies in daily life under professional guidance.

My Journey to SBM

From my teenage years, I experienced problems affecting my lower back, neck and knees. Later, I also struggled with headaches, shoulder tension, numbness in my hands and a range of other physical concerns. For many years, I regularly visited hospitals and manual therapists, managing each symptom as it appeared.

At the age of 38, while working, studying for my MBA and caring for my grandmother, I collapsed from exhaustion.

I realised:

“If I am not healthy myself, I cannot support my family or continue my work.”

That realisation became a turning point in my life.

I had already become interested in SBM and its philosophy of learning to care for and restore balance to one’s own body. I attended a seminar at the Tokyo school and asked to join its private, referral-based programme. I became the first client to be accepted without a personal introduction.

While balancing life as an employee, postgraduate student and wife, I practised SBM every day. Over the course of one year and four months, as I continued to work consistently with my body, I gradually noticed changes in the long-standing symptoms and physical difficulties that had concerned me for many years.

My experience inspired me to share SBM with others facing similar challenges. I completed both the Foundation and Instructor Training programmes at Self Body Make College and qualified as an SBM instructor.

My teacher, Yuriko Sugiura, entrusted me with bringing the method to London. In June 2010, just one month after moving to the UK, I opened the LILY & GOLD LONDON school.

A New Beginning in London at 42

I began my new life and business in a city where I had no established network.

I introduced my work through a blog and a free online noticeboard for the Japanese community in the UK. Within two months of opening, my first two clients began practising SBM. In time, some clients even travelled by air from outside the UK to attend lessons.

My journey was featured as an example of entrepreneurship and building a new life’s work after 40 in the 2012 Japanese publication Challenge 40: Lifework from Your Forties.

The feature was titled with words that reflect the way I have approached my life:

“Seize the day! Take hold of the opportunities before you.”

What began as a small private practice in my home has now continued for more than 16 years. During that time, I have shared SBM with people of different nationalities through Japanese, English and Mandarin.

Now, at 58, I am entering a new stage: bringing the experience, knowledge and results developed through my private practice to a wider community across the UK.

What Is SBM?

SBM is a Japanese self-care method using a specially designed pillow and two precise, guided movements: one for the lower back and one for the neck.

The method focuses on the spine’s natural S-shaped curves and the balance between the muscles on the left and right sides of the body. Under professional guidance, clients learn the correct positioning, angles and rhythm before incorporating the practice into their daily lives.

SBM encourages people not only to rely on others to care for their bodies, but also to understand their own physical condition and take an active role in their everyday self-care.

I particularly support people who:

  • Have concerns about their lower back or neck

  • Are noticing changes in their posture or physical symmetry

  • Are living with a herniated disc

  • Want to make body care part of their long-term routine

  • Are looking for a practice they can continue at home or while travelling

In-person lessons are available in North London. For clients who live further away or overseas, I also provide a combination of in-person and online guidance.

Supporting Self-Care in the UK

I am listed as a Self-Care Champion by the UK’s Self Care Forum and support its aim of increasing awareness and understanding of self-care.

I also manage a Facebook support community for people living with herniated discs and lower-back or neck problems. The group encourages members to consider what they can safely do in their daily lives while continuing to seek appropriate medical assessment and treatment.

Herniated Disc Natural Relief | SBM Spinal Self-Care Community
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1695557534507863/

My Purpose

I want people to experience a life that is not defined by constant concern about their physical condition—a life in which they can enjoy the things they love, travel, laugh and live fully in their own way.

My purpose is to help people understand their bodies and develop the ability to care for themselves consistently in daily life.

Rather than handing over all responsibility to a professional, I believe in receiving appropriate professional guidance while also taking an active role in caring for one’s own body.

Through SBM, I aim to bring this philosophy of self-care to a wider audience across the UK.

Professional Background

  • Born in Yamanashi, Japan, in 1968

  • Began her career in finance and administration at a Japanese television company

  • Studied Mandarin and international trade at Sichuan University in China

  • Former Representative Director of the Japanese subsidiary of a Taiwanese company

  • Former Director of a Shanghai-based subsidiary

  • MBA, Bond University, Australia

  • Completed the Foundation and Instructor Training programmes at Self Body Make College

  • Awarded an SBM Instructor Diploma

  • Established LILY & GOLD LONDON in June 2010

  • Founder and 

    Mika Kubokawa | Profile

    Founder and Director, LILY & GOLD LONDON LTD
    Self Body Make (SBM) Instructor
    Self-Care Champion, Self Care Forum, UK

    My name is Mika Kubokawa, and I teach Self Body Make (SBM), a Japanese self-care method, in London.

    In 2010, at the age of 42, I brought SBM from Japan to London and established the LILY & GOLD LONDON school from a room in my home. I began in a city where I knew no one, and for more than 16 years, I have continued to work closely with each individual client.

    Today, as the Founder of LILY & GOLD LONDON LTD, I support people experiencing concerns about their lower back, neck or posture, helping them learn how to care for their bodies in daily life under professional guidance.

    My Journey to SBM

    From my teenage years, I experienced problems affecting my lower back, neck and knees. Later, I also struggled with headaches, shoulder tension, numbness in my hands and a range of other physical concerns. For many years, I regularly visited hospitals and manual therapists, managing each symptom as it appeared.

    At the age of 38, while working, studying for my MBA and caring for my grandmother, I collapsed from exhaustion.

    I realised:

    “If I am not healthy myself, I cannot support my family or continue my work.”

    That realisation became a turning point in my life.

    I had already become interested in SBM and its philosophy of learning to care for and restore balance to one’s own body. I attended a seminar at the Tokyo school and asked to join its private, referral-based programme. I became the first client to be accepted without a personal introduction.

    While balancing life as an employee, postgraduate student and wife, I practised SBM every day. Over the course of one year and four months, as I continued to work consistently with my body, I gradually noticed changes in the long-standing symptoms and physical difficulties that had concerned me for many years.

    My experience inspired me to share SBM with others facing similar challenges. I completed both the Foundation and Instructor Training programmes at Self Body Make College and qualified as an SBM instructor.

    My teacher, Yuriko Sugiura, entrusted me with bringing the method to London. In June 2010, just one month after moving to the UK, I opened the LILY & GOLD LONDON school.

    A New Beginning in London at 42

    I began my new life and business in a city where I had no established network.

    I introduced my work through a blog and a free online noticeboard for the Japanese community in the UK. Within two months of opening, my first two clients began practising SBM. In time, some clients even travelled by air from outside the UK to attend lessons.

    My journey was featured as an example of entrepreneurship and building a new life’s work after 40 in the 2012 Japanese publication Challenge 40: Lifework from Your Forties.

    The feature was titled with words that reflect the way I have approached my life:

    “Seize the day! Take hold of the opportunities before you.”

    What began as a small private practice in my home has now continued for more than 16 years. During that time, I have shared SBM with people of different nationalities through Japanese, English and Mandarin.

    Now, at 58, I am entering a new stage: bringing the experience, knowledge and results developed through my private practice to a wider community across the UK.

    What Is SBM?

    SBM is a Japanese self-care method using a specially designed pillow and two precise, guided movements: one for the lower back and one for the neck.

    The method focuses on the spine’s natural S-shaped curves and the balance between the muscles on the left and right sides of the body. Under professional guidance, clients learn the correct positioning, angles and rhythm before incorporating the practice into their daily lives.

    SBM encourages people not only to rely on others to care for their bodies, but also to understand their own physical condition and take an active role in their everyday self-care.

    I particularly support people who:

    • Have concerns about their lower back or neck

    • Are noticing changes in their posture or physical symmetry

    • Are living with a herniated disc

    • Want to make body care part of their long-term routine

    • Are looking for a practice they can continue at home or while travelling

    In-person lessons are available in North London. For clients who live further away or overseas, I also provide a combination of in-person and online guidance.

    Supporting Self-Care in the UK

    I am listed as a Self-Care Champion by the UK’s Self Care Forum and support its aim of increasing awareness and understanding of self-care.

    I also manage a Facebook support community for people living with herniated discs and lower-back or neck problems. The group encourages members to consider what they can safely do in their daily lives while continuing to seek appropriate medical assessment and treatment.

    Herniated Disc Natural Relief | SBM Spinal Self-Care Community
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/1695557534507863/

    My Purpose

    I want people to experience a life that is not defined by constant concern about their physical condition—a life in which they can enjoy the things they love, travel, laugh and live fully in their own way.

    My purpose is to help people understand their bodies and develop the ability to care for themselves consistently in daily life.

    Rather than handing over all responsibility to a professional, I believe in receiving appropriate professional guidance while also taking an active role in caring for one’s own body.

    Through SBM, I aim to bring this philosophy of self-care to a wider audience across the UK.

    Professional Background

    • Born in Yamanashi, Japan, in 1968

    • Began her career in finance and administration at a Japanese television company

    • Studied Mandarin and international trade at Sichuan University in China

    • Former Representative Director of the Japanese subsidiary of a Taiwanese company

    • Former Director of a Shanghai-based subsidiary

    • MBA, Bond University, Australia

    • Completed the Foundation and Instructor Training programmes at Self Body Make College

    • Awarded an SBM Instructor Diploma

    • Established LILY & GOLD LONDON in June 2010

    • Founder and Director, LILY & GOLD LONDON LTD

    Qualifications, Activities and Publications

    • Certified Self Body Make Instructor, LILY & GOLD

    • Self-Care Champion, Self Care Forum, UK

    • Featured entrepreneur in Challenge 40: Lifework from Your Forties

    • Author of the Japanese-language Amazon Kindle book:
      椎間板ヘルニアを自分で治す――S字カーブをつくれば手術はいらない!
      A personal perspective on herniated disc and spinal self-care

    Interests

    • Foil fencing

    • Travel and visiting UNESCO World Heritage Sites

    If you would like to find out whether SBM may be suitable for you, or would like to discuss concerns about your lower back, neck or posture, please contact me through my blog or the official website enquiry form., LILY & GOLD LONDON LTD

Qualifications, Activities and Publications

  • Certified Self Body Make Instructor, LILY & GOLD

  • Self-Care Champion, Self Care Forum, UK

  • Featured entrepreneur in Challenge 40: Lifework from Your Forties

  • Author of the Japanese-language Amazon Kindle book:
    椎間板ヘルニアを自分で治す――S字カーブをつくれば手術はいらない!
    A personal perspective on herniated disc and spinal self-care

Interests

  • Foil fencing

  • Travel and visiting UNESCO World Heritage Sites

If you would like to find out whether SBM may be suitable for you, or would like to discuss concerns about your lower back, neck or posture, please contact me through my blog or the official website enquiry form.

Comments

Labels

Show more