To Fencers Feeling One-Sided Strain! Why I Align My Body and Balance with SBM
Hello everyone!
I just returned to fencing practice this week! However, there is a minor "thing on my mind" that I’m sure every fencer can relate to and say, "Oh, me too!"
That is the heavy strain on one leg (especially the lead leg) and the overall body asymmetry caused by our inherently unbalanced movements.
In fencing, the basic stance requires us to keep our toes and knees open at about 90 degrees. On top of that, we are constantly moving back and forth with the exact same leg in front, making it impossible to use our bodies symmetrically. Even though I know this, after every single practice, I always end up feeling, "Wow, my body took quite a heavy strain today..."
But still, fencing is just so much fun! That is exactly why I keep going and enjoy it at my own relaxed pace.
The other day, my coach asked me, "Since it's been a while since your last practice, didn't you get any muscle soreness the next day?"
When I replied, "Actually, I felt completely fine!"
My coach praised me, saying, "Many people injure their knees in this sport... You are taking incredibly good care of your body!"
When I replied, "Actually, I felt completely fine!"
My coach praised me, saying, "Many people injure their knees in this sport... You are taking incredibly good care of your body!"
To tell you the truth, there is a secret to why I am completely free of muscle soreness and joint trouble. It's not just about post-practice recovery, but also my "inner care" routine BEFORE practice.
Before heading to fencing, I always drink Lily and Gold's Glucosamine (a powdered drink dissolved in water, packed with citric acid and collagen peptides) for deep internal support.
Supplying my body beforehand with nutrients that protect my joints from heavy lunges and prevent fatigue is what builds this tough, injury-free body—something even my coach noticed and praised.
SBM: Indispensable for a Lifetime of Body Care
For my post-practice physical care and daily routine, I practice SBM (Self Body Make).
It is a method based on the philosophy of "aligning and managing your own body by yourself," and it goes amazingly well with recovering from fencing fatigue. I practice this SBM method every single day.
It is a method based on the philosophy of "aligning and managing your own body by yourself," and it goes amazingly well with recovering from fencing fatigue. I practice this SBM method every single day.
What I find especially effective is the SBM belt.
By wrapping the SBM belt around my pelvis and hips, it gives me a clear physical sensation, as if telling my joints—which unconsciously become asymmetrical from the heavy strain on the left side—"This is exactly where your hip joints are supposed to be." I can vividly feel my body aligning back to a perfectly symmetrical balance.
Listening to My Body's Signs by Wrapping the Belt
As soon as I get home from fencing, I wrap the SBM belt around myself. Why? Because I can clearly feel the strain concentrated in my left hip joint.
When I put the belt on, I notice a distinct shift: "Ah, so this is how much extra strain my left side was taking..."
Since I am right-handed, my right leg is in the front and my left leg is in the back.
In fencing, the back leg (the left leg) stays wide open with the toes pointed outward, bearing the responsibility of powerfully pushing the body forward.
In fencing, the back leg (the left leg) stays wide open with the toes pointed outward, bearing the responsibility of powerfully pushing the body forward.
This means that even without me realizing it, the heavy strain from practice causes the muscles that open the hip joint outward (like the deep gluteal muscles) to shorten and lock up! If I were to just ignore this and jump straight into the next fencing session, it would be a bit scary.
By continuing SBM daily, your internal sense for a "symmetrical baseline" becomes incredibly sharp. That is why you start noticing even the slightest shifts in your body.
Wrapping the belt is the exact moment my brain clearly captures these misalignments. Even if it isn't a severe, painful injury, knowing how much strain your body is carrying through objective feedback is truly important. The wonderful thing about SBM is that it allows me to precisely release that strain and return to a well-balanced body.
My Total Care Routine for a Fatigue-Free Next Day
Furthermore, after finishing practice, I drink another serving of Glucosamine and align my body with SBM once more. This "double supply before and after" combined with skeletal alignment leaves absolutely zero fatigue or strain for the next day.
I also believe that strengthening our bones is vital for playing sports. That is why I take calcium and collagen tablets daily to build a strong foundation from the inside out.
Reset Habits After Practice Build Tomorrow's Performance
For anyone playing asymmetrical sports like fencing, I truly want you to experience the comfort of this routine: fueling your body properly before and after, listening to your body's subtle signs, and aligning it yourself. By doing so, you can stay injury-free and always enjoy fencing in your absolute best condition.
How do you all handle your daily body care, especially after a high-strain practice?
Are you listening to the voice of your body?
Are you listening to the voice of your body?
#fencing #SBM #SelfBodyMake #LilyAndGold #glucosamine #InnerCare #BodyBalance #PelvicAlignment #SportsCare #InjuryPrevention

Comments
Post a Comment